Friday, October 29, 2010

Review: GV Mobile + for iPhone

Review: GV Mobile + for iPhone
Alright, let me be frank, I have only just recently even given the slightest bit of attention to Google Voice. There I said it. I think it’s like one of those things you’re really afraid to talk about with almost anybody, but you’re kind of deeply ashamed to admit that you don’t know about it, [...]

Alright, let me be frank, I have only just recently even given the slightest bit of attention to Google Voice. There I said it. I think it’s like one of those things you’re really afraid to talk about with almost anybody, but you’re kind of deeply ashamed to admit that you don’t know about it, like is it ever really OK to drink the very last beer in the fridge and not say anything about it? That’s kind of how I felt about Google Voice I guess. I didn’t really see the point of it; why would I want to add yet another number to the already massive list of numbers that I’m supposed to know but don’t? That and I already have a hard enough time keeping up with one voicemail, much less two, or more.

But once I set up my account and fired up GV Mobile+, from developer Sean Kovacs, I almost instantly saw the light. Now I could have that super secret phone number that only a select few even know about, like my second girlfriend, or the other members of that casual international spy ring I’m in. (Great, now I’m probably on some FBI list! I’m not a spy, it was a bad joke…)

Seriously though, the extra number is actually kind of great, and–dare I say–useful. Who would have thunk it? As for ease of use, GV Mobile + is a breeze. At least if you know how to use your iPhone in the first place. It’s like having two cell phones in one! You can send and receive calls and texts straight from GV Mobile’s interface and any incoming calls and texts can be routed to any phone you choose if you don’t want it coming back to your iPhone. As described on the site, Google Voice gives you one phone number and voicemail box that’s tied directly to you and not  a specific device or location. I can definitely see the usefulness of this even for myself, but if you’re a small business owner, or freelancer, Google Voice can basically give you a free, unique business telephone number with voicemail.

I won’t go into all the features of Google Voice here as they’ve got a great help page with all the info you’ll ever need and an easy to follow Getting Started guide to help, well, get you started. GV Mobile + is $2.99 at the App Store and well worth it it my opinion. It’s a great easy to use app backed up by a super supportive developer. Try it today!

Jamie Mack is a contributing writer for simonblog.com.





Lindsay Lohan
Eva Mendes
Julianne Hough

No comments:

Post a Comment