Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Software to steer clear of: GoodSync Explorer

Software to steer clear of: GoodSync Explorer

Filed under: Utilities, Freeware

goodsyncexplorer

I honestly should have known better. Right from the get-go, GoodSync Explorer seemed kind of iffy. It didn't feel like malware, but I got strong "crapware" vibes. The description says that it uses "File System technology from GoodSync." Uh, ... File System technology? That sounds ... impressive. Still, I decided to take the plunge and try it anyway.

I downloaded and installed it. I was happy to see that it comes with a dedicated x64 system, but the VM that I used it on is x86-based, so I didn't test that.

First of all, the interface is confusing. I mean, I ran it and selected File > Open Connection, and nothing happened. The option was enabled, I clicked it, and ... that's it. Nada.

Okay, chalk that up to bad usability; I can live with that. I finally managed to make it connect to my website's FTP server, and I created a bookmark for the folder, which went just fine. I then decided to drag a folder off of the FTP folder tree, just to see what it would do (prompt me? Copy? Move?). It started copying the folder, but then I got a surprise: you can't cancel the operation.

Sure, you can start copying or moving an FTP folder, but if you change your mind in the middle or realize you've made a mistake - that's too bad, buddy! There's no canceling!

That is an abysmal oversight in design. I mean, who makes a file manager that you can't cancel in? I'm not talking about a five-second operation either; this was a lengthy operation that copied (by mistake) dozens of files, without prompting me or telling me where it was putting the copied files. It wouldn't allow me to cancel the operation in any way!

Bottom line: If you care about your files, GoodSync Explorer is one piece of software that you really don't want anywhere near them.

Software to steer clear of: GoodSync Explorer originally appeared on Download Squad on Fri, 18 Jun 2010 16:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read�|�Permalink�|�Email this�|�Comments


Cat Power
Moon Bloodgood

No comments:

Post a Comment